A lack of sleep is something Yours Truly has found quite awful! Unsure as to why. But I jumped at a recent opportunity for professional training about sleep. Here is some of what I gleaned:
1. Lack of sleep can impact our physical health, and can bring on depression. Auto accidents may be caused more by that than by driving under the influence. Whew. That is saying something.
2. If your problem is falling asleep during the day, and/or loud snoring, get an appointment with a doctor. You may have apnea which is risky business if untreated.
3. If getting to sleep and/or staying asleep is your issue, read on. First, make the hour before bedtime as mellow as possible. Leave electronics alone. And thinking about tough issues is better left for another time of day. Restful music or reading is helpful.
4. Your bedroom should have low lighting if any. I like a nightlight but beyond that, try to darken the room.
5. Check the room temperature. Rarely do spouses seem to agree on what’s best room temp, but do your best to keep it cool.
6. Stick to about the same time for going to bed and getting up.
7. If you are lying awake for more than a half hour, keep a bathrobe handy and get up. Read, pray, or do other non-demanding things. Wait a while till you feel sleepy.
8. Speaking of feeling sleepy: It is best to hold off on heading to bed until sleepy.
I offer three-to-four session counseling to address sleep problems. Contact me if needed. 301 667 6327 and www.carolambrose.com.
Mining for Gold
7/1/2020 3:35:00 PM by: Carol Ambrose LCPC
Sleep Problems, or "The ceiling at which I have been staring is not at all interesting!"
5/1/2020 12:05:00 PM by: Carol Ambrose LCPC
Why Video Counseling?
4/3/2020 11:01:00 AM by: Carol Ambrose LCPC
Our Mandated Time at Home--What It Can Reveal
3/26/2020 1:20:00 PM by: Carol Ambrose, Licensed Counselor
Hostility at your house?
5/26/2019 by: Carol Ambrose
Back in the Nest ! Are your adult kids living with you?
4/28/2019 by: Carol Ambrose
Arguing to the Bitter End?
4/18/2019 by: Carol Ambrose
Chasing the Kids–Exhausting!
1/21/2017 by: Carol Ambrose
Are you a parent of adult children?
4/16/2016 by: Carol Ambrose
Seasonal Depression: Remedies
2/9/2015 by: Carol Ambrose